Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Social Media tools, What are the tools?

OK, now begins my very long journey to review over 350 different social media tools.  I have the list categorized here (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AvCqRsSCaCQXdFNHY0RZSW1GNWVGVm9VTktURFZRMUE&hl=en).
Please remember, I may not review all the sites listed.  I found a catagory for "Shopping Sites" for example that do not apply to my focus.  I will keep that sheet updated as I make changes, delete sites I'm not planning to review, etc.  I'll try to have a link to the site on each blog post I write related to this subject.
What is my focus you ask?  My focus is on either furthering my own job search or offering information that can help you in your job search.  Once you land that dream job, try resources like Teri Aulph (http://www.teriaulph.com/) or Steve Laswell (http://www.nextlevelexecutivecoaching.com/), both of these resources are really good people.  I know them both.

on to the list...
First I have decided to review tools that support your adventure in Social Media.  I'm currently looking at 19 different tabs that each represent a different tool.  None of these are Google tools.  Tools and services from Google are a different blog altogether.  I'm planning to write that one later, probably with a title like "Why I'm in love with Google" or something like that.

This site will let you convert any web URL to a QR code.  What's a QR code you ask?  Have you seen those funny looking black/white squares that look a little like bar codes?  That's a QR code.  I'm not sure of the purpose for QR codes but I know that Android developers love to use them as quick links to install apps to phones.  I'm sure there are 100 other uses, for example, to show you exactly what a QR code looks like I added one below.  This code will lead you to my Google Profile.  You can't click it but you can snap a pic of it with your phone.  A nice idea might be to make a webpage about yourself and then create a QR code.  You could keep a copy of the code on your phone and share it with people or even print business cards with the code on it.
This is another site that will let you create QR codes.  Can't say if one is better than the other.

bit.ly - Bit.ly
This site will let you shorten URLs.  Why would you want to shorten URLs?  Well if you Tweet, you have a limit of 140 characters or less, I've seen URLs longer than that.  The most common use is to shorten a link to a page you want to share on Twitter.  I prefer "goo.gl" but that's a blog for another time.  You can find other sites to shorten URLs below.

www.addthis.com - Add This
Add This is pretty awesome stuff.  You can add a "button" or "buttons" to your site, anywhere, that lets the viewer share your site with a plethora of other outlets.  They can email, Twit, Blog, Facebook or over 300 other options.  Add This is where derived my list to write this blog.  If you have a page somewhere, you might want to consider using an Add This button.  I added it to my blog already (look to the left near the top).

Web based tool suite.  Image editor, music creator, screen capture, audio editor, vector editor, image markup, effects editor & color editor.  I'm sure the screen capture could be helpful in some situations.

http://box.net/ - Box.net
This is a file sharing or cloud storage service.  You can store files (word docs, excel files, pictures, if its a file, you can store it) here and do one of two things.  1) You can simply use this as an online "Hard Drive" that offers you access to these files from anywhere.  If you do some work on your desktop PC at home then grab the laptop and head to Starbucks, this will let you access the same file w/out having to transfer or copy it over.  Nice feature.   2) You can use this as a central, web-based repository to share files.  Perhaps your collaborating with someone on some project?  All files can be stored here instead of a central server somewhere.  My thought is is might be a great place to drop your resume.  
As a note, the guys at LifeHacker  really love DropBox.  They are always raving about its awesome features etc etc.  I trust these guys so without doing the research myself, I would vote for DropBox as the best option for this.  Of course your personal preference will always come into play.  Look at the options (Lifehacker did a nice review here: LifeHacker Review) and choose what suits you best.

An interesting find here.  For those of you into establishing a serious webpage this tool could be very useful.  It appears that you can clip a section out of a webpage and then use this site to share that clip.  I guess it's something like posting a link only better and more visually appealing.  You can install the tool to you IE, Firefox, Safari or Chrome browser so all the major bases are covered.



Well, I'm working to keeping this to a short read so that's all the tools for now.  Will post more tools later.  Feel free to add your thoughts in the comments below and share my writings with anyone you think I could help.





(Remember to ignore this, it's just all my tags.  No need to read this, its just SEO. Employeer, internet, Job, Jobseeker, Lifehacker, Online Reputation Management, ORM, Recruiter, Social media, Wikipedia, chester, chester paul, chester paul lohman, paul, paul lohman, lohman, trainer, manager, Landing page, internet, internet tools, blog, blogging, bookmark, bookmarking,  email, IM, shopping, social network, social networking, social news)

No comments:

Post a Comment