Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Please pray for Chester...2

First, NO I am not talking about me.  I am talking about a different Chester.  Feel free to pray for me anytime the mood hits you but FIRST pray for this Chester.

This morning I popped into my local Starbucks to hear one of the employees exclaim how happy she was to see me.  She had heard some very bad news about "Chester" and was worried.
I do not know this womans name.
I know she has children, I do not know their age or if they are boys/girls.
I know she is married.
I know she does not live in my suburb but in one that is close.

I, Chester Lohman, am an @$$hole.  How little do I know about this person?  How much time do I spend in front of a PC EVERY DAY "reaching out and trying to connect with other people"????  If I work SO HARD at networking, how come I don't know ANYTHING about this woman who cares enough to worry about me?

Social media is a wonderful thing.  It allows communication at the speed of light.  It allows for networking opportunities and connections that never before existed.  Because of social media I have friends in places I have never visited, both inside and outside of the US.  I can connect with and reach people all over the world.

Please...  Please, remember that networking is about people.  It is NOT about "what connecting with person X can do for me".  It is NOT "connecting my way to my next job".  It is NOT "networking my way to my next sale/contract/big thing".
In order to TRULY connect with a person, I need to step away from this glowing screen in front of me, look someone in the eye and say "hello..."



Chester's note:
You may notice my 'SEO paragraph' that is usually at the bottom of every article is not here this time or in the first "Pray for Chester" article.  I didn't write these to promote my search engine ranking.  Sometimes I just write because... well... I guess I'm not really sure.  Maybe sometimes I just write because my heart says I have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment