Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 12, 2011

always remember to 'close the loop'

http://goo.gl/mE8fc "The Biggest Mistake People Make After Receiving a Favor"

The article above hit me so hard, I not only shared it the first time I read it, but reading it a second time I have to add my own thoughts...
First, let me say I agree 100% with every word Jodi Glickman wrote.  No matter what profession you are in or even if your still following the school route, you should ALWAYS follow up with any source that has offered you a connection.
Remembering my focus is helping myself and others in their job search, I feel compelled to add a few words on the subject of following up...
When we are On The Hunt, we are focused.  Pressures come at us from everywhere, our children, spouses, friends, extended family.  Everyone means well but at times their questions and/or supporting words only increase our "Get A Job NOW!" internal pressure.  This causes us to always look forward, always look for the next connection, job to apply for, meeting to attend, phone call to make or whatever.
In our constant thrust to move forward, driven by the need to 'Get That Job!', we may forget where we came from or how we got where we are at...
Ask yourself before stepping into a networking meeting or arriving at an interview that someone helped you land (or any other destination that you did not reach by yourself).  "How did I get here?"  No one reaches any destination alone.  Even those who have been fortunate enough to land an interview or meeting 'on their own' have still received help, God is always there opening a door or creating an opportunity.
So, ask that question "How did I get here?" ask "Who helped me get here?".  Remember the answer to that question, make a mental note to not only follow up with that person but to tell them "Thank you" (yes, remember to tell the Big Guy "Thanks!" too!!!).
It's a big world out there and every day it seems to me that it gets a little bigger and a little smaller all the time.  We all need to remember that communication is the key to keeping everything running smoothly.  Someone helped you because they are interested in you.  Keep them in the loop on your progress good or bad.  If it's good they will be very happy to hear it.  If the progress isn't what you hoped, maybe they can help you again.

I'd love to hear your comments about how someone has helped you, you have helped someone or about giving/receiving follow up on that help.





(Remember to ignore this, it's just all my tags.  No need to read this, its just SEO. Employeer, internet, Job, Jobseeker, Lifehacker, Online Reputation Management, ORM, Recruiter, Social media, Wikipedia, chester, chester paul, chester paul lohman, paul, paul lohman, lohman, trainer, manager, Landing page, internet, internet tools, blog, blogging, bookmark, bookmarking,  email, IM, shopping, social network, social networking, social news)

No comments:

Post a Comment