Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Are you comfortable in your own skin?

This morning I was thinking about a networking event that is coming up soon.  A friend invited me to this event and I hear that there will be over 500 people at this event.  I've been really excited about going and seeing my friend and meeting new people.
I recently learned that my friend is not going to make it to this event.  I was really disappointed when I got the news and considered not going.  (In my friends defense, he has an excellent reason for not making it.) As I was thinking this morning about the event and considering skipping it I remembered something.  I'm comfortable in my own skin.  I like myself.  I have the self-confidence to walk into a room of 500+ strangers and not only be OK with it but to expect to see someone that already knows me.  I'm a likable fella and I know it.
When I was young (very young), some wise adult told me "Son, you have to learn to like yourself before other people will like you.  If YOU don't like you, and you know YOU better than anyone else on this earth, why should other people like you?"  That hit me, I mean it really sunk into my brain, right down to the parts of it that work most of the time.  I worked on it and never forgot the advice.  I don't remember the source (thank you, wise adult, whomever you were) but I have always remembered to like myself.  If someone asked me to name 10 things about me that I like I could rattle them off pretty quick {1) I'm a nice guy, I'll help you if i can.  2)I try not to break the law, I'm a good citizen.  3) I'm a good dad, I know because my kids love me. 4) I'm a good husband, I know because my wife loves me. 5)I'm worth something, I know because god loves me.  6)I'm a good son/brother, I know because my siblings and parents love me. 7) I'm a good worker, I know because my boss {all of 'em} have told me.  8)I'm smart, I can learn things {I learned to like myself didnt I?} 9)I'm a good cook, when I try.  10)I love my eyes, I have great eyes. (When I got contacts the first time, I asked the very pretty assistant if I should get colored contacts.  She took one look into my eyes and said "no way".)}  That was really 11 because #6 is actually two things.  I timed myself, it took me less than 5 minutes to come up with those things and type them here.
My question for you today is: Are you comfortable in your own skin?  Do you like yourself? If you don't, (and really think about it, don't just snap off the obvious answer.) then you need to work on it.  Find a book on self-esteem or a book on how to make friends or maybe you realize you need more help than can come from a book.  Find a local church or Google for local self-help groups.
(Quick edit, could I rattle off 10 things I don't like about myself just as fast? yep.  Do I? nope.  I focus on the positive.  I realize my shortcomings and work to improve them but I don't 'sweat' them enough to get me down!)

My point is, you have to like yourself.  Who you are, what value you bring to a conversation, your family, your job or whatever.  If YOU don't like you, and you know YOU better than anyone else on this earth, why should other people like you?


As always, I hope reading this helped you, or at least made you think a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment