Total Pageviews

Friday, April 22, 2011

"I really thought I had the job!"

So, I have spent the past few weeks interviewing and waiting for a response from a great company.  We can call them "ABC Cards" for the purpose of my writing.

This starts with a networking contact sending me an email.  My friend RK has tried to introduce me to JW.  He (RK) believes JW would make an excellent networking contact since we are both in similar industries.  JW and I have never had a chance to meet but he has my resume and a positive word from RK.  JW sends me an email informing me of an open position with ABC Cards; he thinks I would be a good fit for this job.  "I know the hiring manager, her name is KB.  Apply for the position and call her."  (side note here, JW has already contacted KB and she is expecting my call).  THIS IS AWESOME!  Through networking I have located a position that I'm a good fit for.  I quickly realize I have learned about this job even before it's been posted.  KB and I have a quick phone conversation and a few more email conversations before the position is (finally!) posted and I apply.  One more short email to KB letting her know my application is posted and she can look for it.
I now, not so patiently, wait for 'the phone call'.  I spend my time doing a little research on ABC Cards and find some interesting speaking points for the first interview.  They are looking into acquiring a competitor, business growth over the recent quarters has been excellent, etc.
Jane (HR person for ABC Cards) calls me and schedules my first interview.  SWEET!!!  I'm working on a short-term contract position with a different company at the time so finding time to wrap up my research is challenging; so challenging in fact that I'm still doing research (on my phone) while I'm in the lobby of ABC Cards waiting to meet with KB the hiring manager.  We have a GREAT conversation; we talk about the position, where the company is headed, how this role fits into the short & long-term companies goals.  I ask questions that show I've done my research and highlight my passions that mesh with the company.  I leave the interview excited about our meeting and looking forward to a second call.
A few weeks pass and the second call arrives!!!  This time they are asking for a short presentation which is right up my alley.  I love this kind of stuff.  I have a lot of fun preparing and presenting the information they ask for.  We discuss the company culture, details around the role and responsibilities of the position and I even have a chance to talk (one on one) with a helpful HR person before I leave.  I'm excited and upbeat during the second interview and leave feeling almost as confident as when I left the first interview.












A few more weeks pass.  I leave town (business travel for the short-term contract position) and Monday my wife calls me.  She wanted to let me know that ABC Cards sent me a letter!  The letter is to inform me that ABC Cards appreciates my interest in the position but has chosen someone else that they felt was a better fit.

I.  Am.  Devastated.
I spent the last two weeks almost 100% sure that ABC Cards was going to offer me this position.  I've even been planning how to explain to my short-term contract employer I will have to leave.  (Side note here, this short-term contract is indefinite, its not based on time its based on project completion).
I'm crushed.  Emotionally crushed.  Physically, I feel sick.  I'm confused.  I feel like all my work for the past YEAR has been a joke.  I feel like I have been fooling myself into believing I actually have something of value to offer a company.  I even start to convince myself the only reason why I got a second interview was because the hiring manager (KB) knew a 'friend' of mine (JW).  I start thinking about every single minute of both interviews; where did I screw up?  What did I say wrong?  What question did I answer poorly?  Was my presentation that bad?  AM I THIS MUCH OF A LOSER???
The answer is no.  ABC Cards simply found someone that they thought was a better overall fit.  For example, both ABC Cards and myself realized my target salary was near the top of their budget for this position.  It would be logical to assume that they found someone with similar skills willing to accept a lower offer.

This isn't "my fault"; I didn't "screw something up".

What can I learn from this?  What learning's can I share with you, my reader?

1) Don't put all; or even most of your eggs in one basket.
Remember, no position is "locked in" until the company makes you an offer.  Even then it's still not really locked in until you start your first day at work.  Remember this.  Don't start planning how you will live your life "after you start work" until your first day on the job.  It's OK to make general plans but don't start living like your work at X company until you really start work at X company.

2) Keep an open mind; don't look for reasons to kick yourself.
You will get interviews.  You will have conversations with Hiring Managers that seem to be perfect.  You will walk away from an interview so sure they are going to make you an offer that you even quit applying for other jobs.  DON'T DO THIS.
Remember to never stop applying for jobs until you start your first day at work.  For every interview be willing and able to review that meeting with an open mind.  Makes notes during and after the interview.  Keep as detailed as possible a record of what happened.  When you look back on that meeting, ask yourself three questions.  "What went well?"  "What did not go well?"  "What can I learn from this?"  Sometime it will be hard to answer those questions, sometimes you will only have your 'gut' feeling as an answer.  You can't necessarily call up the Hiring Manager and ask them can you?  Trust your 'gut'.  If you are working hard on your Hunt, meeting with people and gathering insight from others, your 'gut' will probably have the right answer.  (As a side note here, if you feel 'alone' at this time then you probably need to get involved with a group that meets on a consistent basis and is focused on helping people with their job search.  The value of interacting with other Job Seekers and meeting with a group of like minded individuals is something I cannot put into words.  For example, I have 3 friends right now, that I can call and ask them for insight on my recent interviews.)

3) Follow up with referral sources.  I have sent emails to JW through all of this process.  JW was kind enough to think about me and tell me about this position in the first place.  I owe him the respect of keeping him informed on progress.

4) VERY IMPORTANT.  YOU HAVE VALUE.  YOU ARE NOT WORTHLESS.
This is so important I can't find words to explain just HOW important it is.  YOU ARE VALUABLE.  YOU BRING SOMETHING SPECIAL TO YOUR NEW EMPLOYER NO MATTER WHO THEY ARE.   When you forget your value, others will not SEE your value.  It's important to have confidence during interviews and networking conversations.  Companies do not "give" people jobs.  People EARN jobs from employers.  They EARN a new job by selling their value to that company.  NO ONE will see your value if you don't see it yourself.
Build a small and close network of people you can depend on.  Call them whenever you need to be reminded of your value.  The more this close network knows about your professional history the better.  Whenever you feel 'down' (and I promise you will, we all do from time to time) cal one of these resources and tell them you are 'down'.  Call them on your way to an interview or the morning of an interview or just anytime you need an ego boost.  It's impossible to stay positive 100% of the time.  You will 'fall down'.  This network is responsible for helping you get back up and back to work on your Hunt.  These people are responsible for reminding you of all the incredible skills you have and how those skills are valuable to potential employers.  They are there to remind you to ask relevant questions during interviews.  They are there to support you.  Remember, no man is an island.


In closing...
Never stop applying for jobs until you start your first day at work.
Keep a close network of people to help you get back up when you are down.
Communication with others is key to your job search.
Be honest but not critical when reviewing past meetings for learning points.
Don't let "that letter" (you know the one "We regret to inform you...") get you down.  Take some time for retrospection, learn what you can and GET BACK TO WORK ON YOUR HUNT.



Feel free to share your own experiences in the comments.  I always look forward to feedback from readers.






(Remember to ignore this, it's just all my tags.  No need to read this, its just SEO. Employeer, internet, Job, Jobseeker, Lifehacker, Online Reputation Management, ORM, Recruiter, Social media, Wikipedia, chester, chester paul, chester paul lohman, paul, paul lohman, lohman, trainer, manager, Landing page, internet, internet tools, blog, blogging, bookmark, bookmarking,  email, IM, shopping, social network, social networking, social news)

No comments:

Post a Comment