Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 14, 2011

You have more time for blogging when you are unemployed

This is a quick post, mostly to scratch my 'itch'.  I've been looking at my blogger page for a few weeks now and thinking "I've GOTTA get another post out".  Well this is as close to that post as I'm going to get right now.  Forewarning, it's something of a ramble, not as structured as my usual posts.

When you are unemployed you have a lot of stress, a few questions, probably very little money and a lot of time. What you DO with that time will have an incredible affect on your mental and emotional health during that time.  (I believe this will also trickle over into you physical health as well, someone please find me a few doctors to prove this).

I used my time to network, boost my SEO and blog.  Recently, I haven't had time because I have reached my goal (at least temporarily) I'M WORKING (YAY! hear the crowd roar in the background of your imagination, I didn't have time/money for sound affects).  I have a short term contract with a contact center that needs some support with a data management software.
I have learned a few things...

While unemployed I established a daily ritual.  We all do, humans are creatures of habit.  If you don't believe me, ask a Marine Corp Instructor (BTW, THANK YOU to ALL of our military.  I can't mention them w/out saying thank you.)  This ritual allowed me time to meet once a week with a great group of people (shout-out to FUMC employment transition ministry in Tulsa OK), and allowed me time to blog.  I enjoy both.
Working has not allowed me those times because, well, I'm working.  You have to drive to work (most of the time) and back home, you have 8 or 9 hours of your day that belong to someone else.  It's uncomfortable.  I liked my daily habits and I miss  them.

This leads to my point(s).

1) MAKE SURE YOU LIKE WHAT YOU ARE DOING.  If you can, and I understand when you can't (sometimes you just have to have a paycheck, the mortgage appreciates getting paid), make sure the job offer that you accept is something you like doing.  From a more Christian (I am one) perspective; make sure the job offer is God's path for you.  If you enjoy your work, it will be easier to walk away from the old daily ritual and make a new one.

2) BE PREPARED FOR CHANGE.
          You are spending 1/3rd of your day at a new place, with new people. You are jumping, feet first, into a new culture.  Don't take the instinctive reaction and run away.  Prepare yourself before that big First Day Back at Work.  Think about the culture you are immersing yourself into and prepare for that (however small or large) culture shock.  Google requests new-hires wear funny hats; for some, that could be distracting or if perceived wrongly even humiliating.  (Google is not 'mean'  or malicious in any way to new employees.  They have done an EXCELLENT job of creating a casual workplace environment and it works for them very well, the hat is just a part of that).  Maybe you have a friend there or who has been there, talk to them about the culture.  If not, maybe you can find someone to reach out to and ask questions on LinkedIn (they have a great people search by company).  If you have to, Google "how to fit in at a new job".  There are resources out there, use them and prepare yourself.
          You are walking away from old habits.  Where you normally spent a good portion of your waking hours, you will be doing something else.  Make a list of those daily activities and find where you can work the important ones into your new schedule.  Maybe you blog, can you dedicate one hour per week in the evenings to writing about your passion?  Is it important enough?  Take time to think about and plan for it.  This will help to ease the discomfort of suddenly 'throwing away' your old schedule.
          You probably have a family.  They are used to your old schedule as well.  Talk to them, discuss the changes that are coming so everyone is prepared for change.  Remember, change is good; also remember, lack of communication and misunderstood expectations are the foundation behind many arguments (well, that and money.  Money is a blog for someone else).

Do I like what I am doing (my new short term contract work)?  A little.  Enough to make it my next career?  Not at this pay rate.  Am I going to quit?  No, after serious thought and prayer I believe I am where God wants me to be right now.  I have other long term opportunities that I am working (and praying!) on.
Do I fit the culture?  Perfectly.  I have a few old friends at this company and I gathered a real insight to the culture before agreeing to the contract.
Was I prepared for change?  NOPE.  Not in the least.  I miss my old habits, I'm uncomfortable.  Can I correct this?  Absolutely.  It's never to late to correct an error.  I simply need to take time (when I'm not working) and think about a few things, then make some changes to my non-work schedule.

As always, I hope this has helped someone.  I write not only for myself but also in the hope that someone, somewhere needs to read it.




(Remember to ignore this, it's just all my tags.  No need to read this, its just SEO. Employeer, internet, Job, Jobseeker, Lifehacker, Online Reputation Management, ORM, Recruiter, Social media, Wikipedia, chester, chester paul, chester paul lohman, paul, paul lohman, lohman, trainer, manager, Landing page, internet, internet tools, blog, blogging, bookmark, bookmarking,  email, IM, shopping, social network, social networking, social news)

No comments:

Post a Comment