Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Social Media Tools, Bookmarking Sites (Cont'd)

5th posting in a series of (I don't know how many)  In this article I cover miscellaneous tools, some may obviously apply others maybe not.  As always,  I have the completelist categorized  here.
I will keep that sheet updated as I make changes, delete sites I'm not planning to review, etc.  I'll try to have a link to the site on each blog post I write related to this subject.


More tools that can help you in this Social Media Jungle...
First a note, bookmarking sites are designed not only to offer you a place to store bookmarks but many of them offer the ability to share them as well.  The advantages over your browser are cloud storage of bookmarks which lets you access them from anywhere instead of one PC and the ability to share or discuss said bookmark.  This is an opportunity for online activity.  A properly built profile with almost any of the sites should help your SEO.
Something else to remember, you may consider using these sites to promote yourself as an expert in your field.  Bookmark sites with information related to your profession, start and join in discussions around related to your profession.  The more online activity you are involved in related to your field, the stronger your presence as an expert.  I would suggest you keep the number of sites you build a profile on to a minimum.  Too many sites and you spend all your time at home in front of the PC, trying to keep up with everything.  Remember your online activity is supposed to support your real life activity!

Due to the large number of Social Bookmarking sites, I have decided to keep my review to a minimum.  If the site is on this list, it can be accessed from the US.  I may or may not build a profile on the site.  If I say the site runs slow, remember I am using Google Chrome browser (not Internet Explorer, although Ver9 is nice) and Windows 7.


Delicious - http://www.delicious.com/
In my opinion this is one of the sites that started it all.  I don't use Delicious (I have no interest in bookmarking sites for personal use) but I see the Delicious button EVERYWHERE.  Because of it's established popularity, I think having a profile and some activity on Delicious could help you to become more popular on the web.



Designbump - http://designbump.com/
Uses a voting system to promote popular bookmarks.  Offers a list of most popular and "up & coming" bookmarks.  Offers 'real time' list of "What's Hot right now".  Another opportunity for you to be active on the web.

Dwellicious - http://dwellicious.com/

Real Estate specific.  Looks like "Delicious" for real estate.  Interesting concept.  I'd say if you are in real estate this would be a good place to be busy,

DZone - http://www.dzone.com/links/

This one is pretty interesting, I may keep it filed in my "look at this later" folder.  If your a developer of any level, you need to be active on this site.  It's 100% about links for developers.  Lots of links to "how-to" or expanding your knowledge.  Looks to be a great information resource as well as a good place for dev guys to be active on the web.

EzySpot - http://www.ezyspot.com/

Just another bookmarking site.  I'd say maybe not as popular as Delicious.  Does offer to categorize bookmarks by "All / Arts / Business / Entertainment / Gaming / Health / Internet / News / Science / Sports / Technology / Travel" however.

FAVable - http://www.favable.com/

Wow, these guys really put forth an effort.  Very nice setup.  You have a dashboard (see the screenshot) that shows your bookmarks as icons, offers a Twitter feed on the right and has lots of flexibility for setup.  I believe there is a free and a pay version.

Faves.com - http://wiki.faves.com/
Different is the best word i can use to describe this.  Wiki style, with discussions, picture & video sharing.  Appears to at least attempt to act like a community of like minded people discussing what interests them.  It's only my guess but I'd say the activity here, because of the websites design, might produce higher results in a Google search than some of the other bookmarking sites.

Favoritus - http://www.favoritus.com/

Simplicity is the key here.  Takes the "less is more" approach which almost always appeals to me.  You'll have to try it for yourself to see if it suits you.  If your even slightly OCD (I am), this may appeal to you.

Folkd - http://www.folkd.com/

They offer a pretty good description of themselves:
Save your favourite links and bookmarks online and access them from anywhere at any time.
Press our "star"-button to vote up the best links on the web with just one click.
Search the most popular links and discover cool sites your friends liked.
Easily recommend the best sites to your friends via email, facebook or twitter.  (My note: integration with Facebook/Twitter could be a positive)
Connect to interesting users to follow their latest links.
Or post cool links yourself and increase your "reputation-rank".
Search and organize your collection by tags and keep private things private!

Fwisp - http://fwisp.com/

Looks a lot like EzySpot.  Offers categories, rank top users (could help SEO), tag cloud (can help you find most popular subjects).  At a glance, I would pick this over EzySpot but I didn't spend much time with either.



So, that takes me through the letter "F" in my list.  I deleted quite a few from the original list because they either didn't look useful, were down or were in a language other than English.  No offense intended, I only review sites in English (it's a downfall of mine, I only speak/read English.  Always meant to pick up a second or third language but never got around to it.)
Please leave feedback in the comments.  Are you using any of these sites?  Want me to offer specific details in my reviews?  Hate what I'm doing but read my blog anyway just to laugh at me?  The comment section belongs to you, offer any and all feedback you have.
Remember that what is written here is only my opinion, and maybe not a very good one at that.  I write this stuff because something inside me says I must write.  I hope that what I write will help someone, somewhere; but help or not I plan to keep writing.






(Ignore this, it's just all my tags.  No need to read this, its just SEO. Employeer, internet, Job, Jobseeker, Lifehacker, Online Reputation Management, ORM, Recruiter, Social media, Wikipedia, chester, chester paul, chester paul lohman, paul, paul lohman, lohman, trainer, manager, Landing page, internet, internet tools, blog, blogging, bookmark, bookmarking,  email, IM, shopping, social network, social networking, social news)

No comments:

Post a Comment